Last month, Facebook announced its plans to get into the cryptocurrency race with Libra. A blend of blockchain and partnership with 28 companies, Libra has been pitched as a money transfer service and a unique currency rolled into one. But just by virtue of being a Facebook venture, Libra immediately garnered controversy. Some people think it could help bring the entire cryptocurrency industry into the mainstream, while others think giving Facebook access to their financial information sounds like a dystopian nightmare. On this episode of Gadget Lab, WIRED writer Gregory Barber explains the intricacies of Facebook’s ambitious plan and how Libra is poised to rattle the future of crypto.
This episode was recorded just two hours before President Trump tweeted harsh criticisms of Libra. So while we don’t discuss that development on the show, our guest Gregory Barber wrote a news story about it later Thursday evening. You can read Greg’s previous stories about Libra here and here. Also read the WIRED guide to the blockchain.
Arielle Pardes can be found at @pardesoteric. Greg Barber is @GregoryJBarber. Boone Ashworth, who edited the show, can be found at @booneashworth. Bling the main hotline at @GadgetLab. Our theme song is by Solar Keys.
How to Listen
You can always listen to this week’s podcast through the audio player on this page, but if you want to subscribe for free to get every episode, here’s how:
If you’re on an iPhone or iPad, open the app called Podcasts, or just tap this link. You can also download an app like Overcast or Pocket Casts, and search for Gadget Lab. If you use Android, you can find us in the Google Play Music app just by tapping here. We’re on Spotify too. You can also download an app like Pocket Casts or Google Podcasts, and search for Gadget Lab. And in case you really need it, here’s the RSS feed.
More Great WIRED Stories
- The hard-luck Texas town that bet on bitcoin—and lost
- Tim Wu explains why Facebook should be broken up
- Apollo 11: Mission (out of) control
- The simple way Apple and Google let abusers stalk victims
- Notifications are stressing us out. How did we get here?
- ??♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers, running gear (including shoes and socks), and best headphones.
- ? Get even more of our inside scoops with our weekly Backchannel newsletter